AirAsia Reports 85% 4Q 2016 Load Factor

25th Jan 2017

Malaysian-based airline AirAsia reported a load factor of 85% in the fourth quarter of last year, or 2% more than for the same period in 2015.

According to the carrier, its total number of carried passengers went up 7% between 2015 and 2016 fourth quarters and was 14.51 million, while the seat capacity increased by 5%.

For the financial year 2016, AirAsia Group carried a total of 56.59 million passengers and had a total load factor of 86%.

The Malaysia AirAsia, which ended the quarter with a fleet of 77 aircraft, in particular had a load factor of 87% in the fourth quarter of last year and its demand was above the 2% YoY increase in capacity. At the same time, the number of carried passengers went up by 5% YoY and was 6.76 million.

AirAsia’s subsidiary AirAsia X also reported an improvement in its overall operating performance for 4Q 2016. AAX also said its passenger load factor decreased by two percentage points from 83% in 2015 to 81% in 2016 and that its available seat per kilometers (ASK) went up 44% YoY to 8,474 million in the fourth quarter of last year.

In a statement, AirAsia X said:

In 4Q16, the company recorded high double-digit increase in passengers carried of 40% YoY to 1.38 million, in-line with capacity growth of 43% YoY. The huge capacity injected during the quarter was to cater demand rising from year-end holiday travel. Operationally, FY16 has been a success turnaround story with various phases of turnaround initiative was carried out positively during the year. 

It added:

Moving forward into 2017, AAX remains cautious and anticipate a challenging environment, however, the management remains confident to ensure sustainable growth.

Of other AirAsia Group airlines, Thai AirAsia posted a load factor of 82% in Q4 2016 and an increase in passengers carried (4.37 million) of 8% YoY. On the other hand, Indonesia AirAsia reported that its load factor, which was 83% in Q4 2016, was up 3% YoY. The airline carried a total of 1.55 million passengers in this period and a total of 6.52 million passengers in 2016. Finally, AirAsia India and Philippines AirAsia reported a load factor of 86% and 85% for Q4 2016.

Back to Top


Stay in touch with the recent news on schedule changes, new routes and latest promotions.

We won't pass on your details to any other company and you can unsubscribe whenever you want to.

Facebook Facebook Twitter Twitter Google Plus Google Plus RSS RSS